Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bitters for a sweeter life

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Maria Treben is the herbalist that first introduced me to Swedish Bitters through a book.  The recipe is found in Health from God's Pharmacy.



Small Swedish Bitters

10gm. Aloe
5 gm. Myrrh
0,2 gm Saffron
10 gm. Senna leaves
10 gm. Camphor
10 gm rhubarb roots
10 gm zedovary roots
10 gm Manna
10 gm Theriac venezian
5 gm Carline thistle roots
10 gm angelica roots


Let steep in a quart or so of 80% alcohol (I used vodka) for at least two weeks. 

This is a tonic to be reckoned with, not for the faint of heart.  When Chief Two Trees first recommended it to me, I bought the herb mix and made my own.  When it had matured, I poured out a small shot and brought it to my lips.  Whooee, baby!  I had never tasted anything so vehemently strong and bitter in my life!  I screwed up my face and spit it out, then washed my mouth out repeatedly to get rid of it.  Shows you how little bitter taste was in my diet.

Treben attributes this formula to Paracelsus.  I found this label on the web; don't know anything about it.  Wonder if it's the same formula.





A version of bitters by Flora
Over time, I learned to dilute Swedish Bitters and grew to relish the effects, even to appreciate the taste.  Most days I take a tablespoon in about a third of a cup of water.  If my gallbladder is acting up or I have digestive issues, I might take a second dose in a day.  (Maria Treben's recommendations vary considerably by condition. Please consult her book or some other resources before deciding what's right for you.  And start small; think teaspoon, not tablespoon.)  A caution here: some herbalists warn against bitters when gallstones are present because extra excretion of bile may cause them to move and get caught in the bile duct.  However, my experience is that they have done my liver and gallbladder a world of good over the years.

Pharmacies used to be replete with many kinds of bitters.  Now is rare to see them outside of a small section in the health food store or in a liquor cabinet (Angostura) to make a whiskey drink like a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned.  Flora makes a gentler-tasting non-alcohol bitter tonic but be aware it contains sugars. 

Another site to check out is swedishbitters.com.  These folks have a wide line of all things Maria Treben and offer the bitters in various forms.  As well as the dried herbs, they carry both alcohol and non-alcohol liquid bitters, creams, soaps, books and other tinctures.  



Next post we'll talk about getting your bitters from food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment